The rivalry between Boston and New York is legendary (and never-ending). One thing we do have in common is that we’re both tough towns with obsessive sports fans.
Bostonians are usually pegged as being closed to outsiders, but Shaq did a phenomenal job of overcoming this during his season with the Celtics by staging a series of events, using social media, and just getting “out and about” among people.
In that spirit, here are our suggestions for Tebow on how to build acceptance in New York:
- Go to a Rangers game and then make a trip to spring training to see the Yankees!
- Eat a hot dog at a street cart whenever he gets the chance
- Get a photo op of him wearing a Sanchez jersey, showing his support for the starting QB Mark Sanchez – so that it would temporarily quell any QB controversy
- Have lunch with Donald Trump and Jerry Seinfeld (separately)
- Do a surprise appearance on Saturday Night Live
- Throw the ball around in Central Park
- Visit the National 9/11 Memorial
- Get pizza at Joe’s in the West Village
- Drive around the city, honking and yelling at everyone – against his character but he’ll really fit in!
- Support charitable causes New Yorkers’ care about, like God’s Love We Deliver and Harlem Children’s Zone
- Throw out the first pitch at Mets game
- Do a walk-on in a Broadway show
- Participate in “Celebrity Apprentice”
- Go for cheesecake at Junior’s
- NY fans want a winner. The best thing for him to do is be seen working hard on his football skills (e.g. photos in the gym, working out with teammates, talking to coaches, etc.)
- Do NOT date a Kardashian
Portrait by Chris Allard