While they may feel old hat to some, mobile apps are just showing up on the radar as an important technology trend in events. The Economist Intelligence Unit survey reported that a meager 13% of customers found mobile applications to be an important way to engage with businesses in the year 2013. Three years from now, this statistic is projected to jump to 41% of customers, making mobile apps the second most important way that customers will engage with brands (just behind Social Media at 43%). This growth is staggering and it is clear that apps are quickly becoming the new event essential. If this is not enough reason to get on board, here are other top reasons to take your event mobile:
• New technologies are the driving force behind today’s consumer-led economy.
• The average person looks at their phone every 6.5 minutes and 85% of that time is spent using apps (Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers’s annual Internet Trends report).
• Simplification. Mobile applications simplify complex event guides and provide direct links to a wealth of additional content.
• The chance to personalize the event experience—the latest event apps offer digital event guides, scheduling functionality, interactive maps, social media, gamification, digital ads, etc.
• Sponsorship opportunities. Mobile ads perform 4-5 times better than online ads in key metrics such as brand favorability, awareness, and purchase intent (50 Amazing Facts About Mobile, HubSpot).
• Mobile apps inspire connections between employees, partners, sponsors, speakers and attendees and provide countless opportunities for meaningful touch points with potential customers.
• Apps provide an interactive experience that will turn your attendees into active participants.
• The ability to extend your event beyond the physical conference. Apps provide a platform for attendees to engage pre, during and post event.
• Go Green—digital content could eliminate paper conference agendas and handouts.
• 2 billion+ smartphones/tablets will be sold in 2014… nearly 7x more than the number of PC’s expected to be sold (Gartner).
The competition is heating up to grab attendees’ attention, so it’s time to join the mobile movement! Check out top rated event platforms such as CrowdCompass by Cvent, Quickmobile and Guidebook to request a demo on how you can successfully incorporate an application into your next event.